DIRECT TO GARMENT PRINT JOHANNESBURG
DIRECT TO PRINTING
DTG printing is the process of printing images directly onto fabrics and garments, such as t-shirts. It employs the use of textile inkjet technology to print your desired image onto the garment. It’s useful to imagine it as a giant inkjet printer, but instead of papers and documents, it prints designs on fabric
DIRECT TO GARMENT PRINT ( MINIMUM ORDER IS 10 UNITS, CAN BE DIFFERENT ARTWORKS
With numerous textile and garment printing techniques available today, buyers and designers are spoilt for choice. However selecting the best technique to use is a complex process for the printer. First and foremost, you have to assess the client’s requirements. If a fashion brand approaches you for a job which has immediate resale purpose, then DTG would come straight to mind. A whole range of other questions need to be asked to identify the best process for the client’s desired outcome – how many colours are in the design, are they printed onto coloured or white clothing, how complex is the design, and does it require exact Pantone matched colours?”
DTG is great for fast, full colour printing ready for retail. With all DTG jobs, make sure the customer is aware of ‘variants’ in the finished product. If you’re printing 100 t-shirts, it is likely that 3 or 4 of the finished products may not be as perfect as the others, which is why it is recommended for customers to order a couple extra. Getting this right comes down to perfecting the technology, by perfecting the pre-treatment techniques, machinery and quality of the hardware.
DTG printing is very good for certain things and not very good for others. Screen printing will always be far better at handling big solid colours. People like DTG printing because the inks are a lot thinner and a lot less viscous and therefore the ink tends to go into the garment rather than sit on top of the garment’s surface, this makes the print much softer and you don’t get the roughness of a screen printed feel.
DTG is also very good at printing images with lots of colours, shades and tones. DTG inks are water based so eco-friendly, which means they’re very suitable for babygrows and children’s garments, because there are no chemicals. If the job involves a photographic type image, a multi-coloured logo with multiple tints, it’s a DTG job over screen printing or transfer.
Printing onto black and coloured garments hasn’t always been possible with DTG. When the demand for printing onto black and coloured garments using DTG started, a lot of the machines in the market were just converted office type inkjet printers.
The printers were converted to print t-shirts, as a result, the print heads weren’t made specifically for printing t-shirts, and the inks that are used for t-shirt printing are, as you’d imagine, completely different to printing onto a piece paper. So, there was always a problem with getting the ink through the print head, particularly with white inks.
Because of demand, Brother and other DTG manufacturers produced print heads specifically for DTG printing onto coloured garments.
One question a printer will need to consider when quoting for a DTG job is the colour of the garment – is it white or is it coloured ? This has a great impact on the DTG printing process, as well as the finished garment.
Printing onto coloured garments is slightly more difficult than white material. When printing onto white garments, any white colour in the design isn’t printed because it’s the colour of the t-shirt. This makes the finished product a very soft lightweight print. Water-based eco-friendly ink is used which prints brilliantly onto white garments.
When printing onto coloured garments on the other hand, the first thing you have to do is pre-treat the clothing. Printers need to pre-treat the area that is to be printed using a special water-based chemical that helps create bright colours. Then a white layer of the entire design needs to be printed to the nearest millimetre, and then the final colour goes on. It’s a three-step process instead of a one-step process. As a result, printing onto coloured garments takes longer and costs more because printers are using twice or three times the amount of ink. The introduction of the chemical to the mix also makes it trickier.
There are numerous techniques available in textile printing and garment decoration, DTG being just one. However, if it’s quick, short-runs and vibrant, retail-ready clothing that the customer wants, then DTG fits the bill.
SOME COLOURS CAN LOOK DIFFERENT IN REAL LIFE
There aren’t many things our incredible DTG process cannot achieve! However, when choosing the colors for your artwork, it’s important to note that they may look different on a real product than what you see on your computer monitor. Even if you have calibrated your monitor to a specific color profile, there are various factors that influence the final appearance of colors on a printed product. Because of this, we can’t guarantee color accuracy 100%. Our printers will convert your submitted print file from RGB to CMYK color space. This color conversion process changes the color gamut, or range of colors that can be expressed. You must be very cautious when using bright neon and pastel RGB values in your print files. Some examples include hot pinks, lime greens, construction orange, highlighter yellow, easter egg shades, etc. You should also consider other factors like fabric material, garment color, and whether your print will require a white under base layer when choosing colors.
Why You Can Believe in Us
- Value for money – You should know we take the value you receive from DTGP seriously.
- Being on time – We make it our priority to understand how critical your deadline is so that we deliver on time all the time!
- Order the quantity you want – You can order the exact quantity you want and get the volume discount you deserve.
- Product samples – You should be able to touch and feel the product you like to be sure it is right for you, DTGP supplies product samples to all its valuable clients at no cost.
- Free artworks – DTGP supplies its own in house proofs and free virtual pre-production samples to speed up the production process and ensure you get the professional result you deserve.
- Sourcing the right product – DTGP keeps up to date with Industry trends and has a team to source or conceptualise ideas for your unique requirements. We have the resources and experience to find the ideal, exclusive or custom product for your brand or need.
- Free advice and assistance – We take all the time necessary to give you professional advice, maintaining a high standard of understanding in our field.
- Fast order turnaround – If you can’t get it done in time elsewhere, try us!
- Giving back – We care about our community and give back in many ways. Follow us on Social Media to find out more about what we do for our Nation.
- People – It is important to us that we make a difference, we employ remarkable people to deliver remarkable service.
- Protecting your brand – Our clients rely on DTGP to support, protect and enhance their brand. Quality, safety and compliance standards are reviewed and applied on every order we run. Materials, production and working conditions are observed and maintained by DTGP employees. Your DTGP representative is with you every step of the way –we protect your brand!
LEAVE US A MESSAGE
A5 is R45
A4 is R90
A3 is R160